POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector Function required?! Can you help me find or write it? : Vector Function required?! Can you help me find or write it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Vector Function required?! Can you help me find or write it?
From: Matt Moose
Date: 20 Feb 2001 10:38:32
Message: <3a90fab8.9496988@news.povray.org>
(Using Povray v. 3.1g.watcom.win32)

Dear brainy types,

Problem: Got a unit cylinder lying on the x-axis, from x=-0.5 to 0.5,
with a bitmap projected onto its side in the xz plane. Good so far,
very happy with that. However I would then like to take the
illustrated cylinder's start & end points and move them to 2 totally
different unrelated  coordinates p1 & p2, which can be a variable
distance apart. The image must face the camera (towards -Z), whatever
the final orientation of the object.

It's required to keep the image locked to the side of the cylinder so
it can point in the right direction.

I can easily translate the object's start point to p1, but can't get
my head around determining the amount of pre-rotation and pre-scaling
required at the origin in order to move the endpoint to p2,  _and_
have the image still facing -Z !

Have I missed an easier way?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.